Thursday, November 5, 2009

Candid Interview Feedback

I value truth above all things.

And, over the years as a headhunter, I've been put to the test to tell the hard truth to candidates. It wasn't easy, but it was the right thing to do.

Like why they didn't get the job, for example.

No, I'm talking about the real reason. Not the canned answer, "Your not a good fit".

Seriously, who needs that for feedback? There is nothing to learn from that comment.

But I figured if no one told you, you'd never learn. I didn't do it to hurt, but to correct, so going forward you'd improve and next time land the job.

It's that overwhelming heavy feeling of responsibility that comes over me that makes me do these things.

For the greater good.

For you.

And I never understood why recruiters just don't tell the truth.

It leaves the person in transition feeling lost and incomplete.

Most of all, it makes them start to question their value as a person.

And I can't have that.

So instead I'll tell the truth.

Gently.

And you will leave the conversation in tact and with your dignity.