Sunday, March 28, 2010

Tell the Truth

Looking back now, I'm certain my mother didn't mean for this to happen.

It's just one of those things that sticks in your head, that you believe and ultimately becomes you.

I was a little girl standing before her, lying. She knew it too, the way her left jet black eyebrow raised at me, sternly repeating the question.

I looked her dead in the eye and lied again.

Elizabeth....if you tell me the truth you will not get into trouble. But you must tell the truth. There will be no punishment. None. But I have to know the truth and what I'm dealing with here.

I took a big breath, trusted her and told the truth.

There was no punishment.

I grew up believing that no matter how bad things could be, that if I always told the truth, I would be protected. Over time, my judgement became better, and I choose better, not having to dig myself out of messes and apologize.

If I got a speeding ticket, I told the truth to the judge.
If I was late, I owned my mistake and told the truth.
If I hurt someones feelings, or just knew I was wrong for saying something hurtful, even if they didn't find it hurtful, I told the truth.

It's also called accountability or facing the music.

My next book proposes that we try that small premise in the job search. That we tell the truth about who we really are and be honest.

I suggest we quit flinging our skill set.

Stop selling.
Be honest.
Be honest with the employer about who we are, what we are good at, and furthermore, what we are unwilling to do.

If we did that, we'd have a very different job. We would have set fair expectations with the employer.

No one to lie to anymore.

We could just be us, and utilize our talents.

But we could start out the business relationship with the most critical piece to any relationship.

TRUST!