Sunday, December 27, 2009

What I will tell Cody...

Cody, our son, is about to graduate high school in June.

I can see him start to process the death of his childhood and the uncertainty of adulthood.

His energy feels to me to be one of a person that is unsettled. He knows on some level decisions need to be made, and he is very much afraid.

I know of this without him telling me a word.

And I know of this to be fact for he comes to me in the dream space.

I thought long and hard about what I should tell him.

Isn't this my biggest moment?

As a parent?

Isn't this my biggest moment as Elizabeth Lions?

Who do I really want to be in relation to all of this?

And, the most important question, the one that rocks me to my core -

What would love do now?

I thought a lot about all of this and here is what I will tell him, over and over again, until it registers deep in his beautiful mind and leaves a permament impression.

I will tell him:

Cody,

Listen to the mustn'ts child,
Listen to the don'ts,
Listen to the shouldn'ts,
the impossibles,
Listen to the never haves...

Then you listen close to me.

ANYTHING can happen, child.

Anything can be!

Including you. So go choose and choose again.

They will always tell you that you are too young or too old.

They will always tell you no.

And in recession, they will tell you that it is impossible.

Come here, my son..........listen closely....

Go create.

Choose.

Choose something.

Choose anything. Do not be afraid of your choices, for in the end, it will all be ok.

Work towards being the man that you are, with your beliefs and visions.

Anything can happen, Cody.

And that 'anything' is YOU.