Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Laid off after 17 years of service

I've always been very grateful for all the wonderful people that I've met due to my line of work as a career coach. Much of what others have shared with me has been humbling.

To be trusted as such a deep level.

To have the privilege of listening to another.

To witness their power and their growth, knowing they don't share this stuff with anyone else.

Keeping their secrets.

Holding the space until they grow and move into the next job. Knowing they can do it when they are sure they cannot.

Some days it brings me to my knees and I'm overwhelmed by the human spirit.

But there is always that one client that sticks out in your mind.

I met him at a networking event where I was the key note speaker. He took a job as an intern, as a mechanical engineer. They offered him a full time job - and he took it.

And he held that one job for seventeen years.

Think about that.

I've known marriages that didn't last that long.

For 17 years he drove to the same building - every day.
He worked side by the side with the same people - every day.
And one day he came into work and they just laid him off.

I'll never forget how unflappable he was even though he was out of a job.

This man had no idea how to interview.

He didn't even know how to apply online. Why would he? He had never had to look for a job.

He vacillated between being extremely excited about his new options and overwhelmed.

I vowed to keep track of him long after our sessions exhausted just to ensure he had a safe landing.

Ok, let's face it - I just wanted the happy ending.

We spent the next six weeks getting his resume and cover letter ready and preparing him for his upcoming interviews. He hadn't interviewed since college and now at 40, he was a bit concerned about how he would do it. I encouraged him to network as much as possible to uncover possible job leads. He followed the system I outlined in a detailed manner. He was committed to my service outline and moving forward.

After nearly 4 months without work and few interviews, he emailed. I intuitively picked up his discouragement though the airwaves.

"Measure success differently." I told him. "Success doesn't mean getting the job. Sometimes it just means applying to several opportunities. Sometimes it's following up. Sometimes when it's really bad, success is just getting out of bed. Being discouraged and depressed is ok. Just don't pitch a tent there."

I do understand that it's tough out there. But do not forget who you really are and what you came here to do.

Never lose sight of that.