Thursday, August 13, 2009

A Shout Out to the Unemployed

The map hung across the room looking at me, without blinking.

I stared at it and whispered, 'Where are you?'

California is colored orange.
Michigan is colored pink.
Nevada is colored yellow.

All 50 states stood stony eyed, looking at me.

Waiting.

There are fourteen and a half million people in the US that are unemployed right now, according to the Bureau of Labor and Statistics.

This keeps me up at night.

I will find you.

Until there is no breath in my body, I will look for you.

Because I believe I can help.

It's not ego or vanity. I've just done this too many times. I've worked with hundreds of laid off workers, most of them professionals who needed a hand to get them from Point A to Point B.

What do I do?

I perform triage on the spirit when someone gets laid off. I'm there for you to emotionally throw up all over me. When you are done and feel better, we'll commence in the job search.

Don't get me wrong, I like it.

If you are there and listening, I need to let you know:

You have a right to be frustrated.
You have a right to be scared.
You have a right to feel despair, just don't pitch a tent there.

I will find you.

I am here.

My name is Elizabeth Lions.

I can help.